Thursday, October 8, 2009

taking a better landscape photo

I leave for my vacation in two weeks. YIPPEE! I am very excited to see melissa brandman photography start to take off, but it is exhausting - I can't seem to turn my mind off, so I spend many nights just thinking of what needs to be done, what shoots are coming up, how can I improve my blog, and so on. I can't wait to hit the beaches of Kauai and attempt to actually finish a book. And maybe get a tan, because even though we've been living in Southern California for almost a year now, my legs are ghostly white. We'll see if any rest and relaxation is possible with 2 kids running amok - dare to dream...

Anyhow, one area of photography I would love to improve is my travel/landscape photography. I tend to photograph patterns and repetition, but I would love to take a jaw-dropping landscape photo on my trip. I found this article over at Digital Photography School - click here for 11 tips on taking better landscape photos.

(PS I'm not rewriting portions of the article because (1) I'm tired and lazy, and (2) DPS posted something ominous about not reproducing their content without consent, and basically they don't consent to online reproduction by anyone. So you'll have to click over to DPS and read up without any additional commentary from me. Mostly because I'm tired. But I also don't want to get sued).

3 comments:

Amy October 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

This is a really good article. I never really thought about where to put the horizon line and the sky - just kind of winged it by look but I'm going to have to try this next time.

P.S. I've been asked to shoot some promotional shot for a musician. Haven't taken too many portraits (just documentary style). He wants gritty city shots. I'd love any advice you might have.

Melissa October 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Hi Amy - for some reason I don't have your email address, so I'll respond to you here about the musician shoot (hope you get this beforehand).

Not sure how close you are to any sort of "urban" areas, but I look for alley ways and dumpsters for urban - sounds stinky (it can be) but you can get some cool colors, exposed brick, and harsh shadows in those alleys and in front of dumpsters (not in them). I have also shot in the stairwell of a parking structure - difficult lighting but a cool effect.

I bet earlier morning light would be pretty dramatic, too.

Hope this helps!

Bennett October 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM  

Hi,

You have provided valuable landscape photography tips to capture good landscape photos. Professional look is very important in photography. The photo you take should look realistic, inspiring and awesome. You can achieve this by taking the photos from the right angles with proper lighting.