Thursday, September 24, 2009

TTV - a tutorial

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.92056157.jpg

A while ago I bought a beautiful print of a ferris wheel from a photographer that has a great vintage feel, almost like the lens had been scratched up and the edges of the negative distressed (similar to the one above, by bomobob). Come to find out the photograph was taken TTV - through the viewfinder. Meaning the photographer used her camera (digital, I'm guessing) and actually shot the photographer through the viewfinder of ANOTHER camera. You following me?

For anyone intrigued on how you actually do this, click here for a tutorial on how to create TTV images. If you search for TTV images on etsy you can see about a gazillion examples of what I'm talking about. It creates a vintage, old-fashion look to your photos.

If any of you try this out be sure to send me an email and let me know how it went - I just need to find me a double lens reflex camera at the flea market...

1 comments:

Amy September 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

I've tried TTV a few times with mixed results. The first contraption I made leaked a lot of light so I took a strip of black poster board and made a cylinder. Out of black foam core I cut a circle for the end. I cut a square out of the center so it fits over the view finder. It takes some playing but have gotten some good pictures. Focusing and camera balance are a bit tricky too. It's a lot of fun though.