Friday, May 29, 2009

self portraits

This post over at Pioneer Woman Photography really spoke to me. Lately when I see a photo of myself, all I see are the flaws - the signs that I am, in fact, getting older, or that my hair looks terrible, or that I really should wear more makeup, or I need to buy new clothes. I am the family photographer so I'm often behind the lens, but many months go by where not a single picture of me with my family is taken.

Jodie over at Jodified decided to take the matter into her own hands and try self portraits - I thought I'd give it a shot as well:

self portrait

Some thoughts:

  • the original color in this photo was HORRIBLE. Hence the conversion to a b+w photo.
  • I put the camera on a rocking chair and proceeded to play keep away with my 1 year old, so she wouldn't grab the camera and throw it down on the ground. Hence the off centered-ness.
  • I still hate that my face is shiny. And I should be wearing some makeup.
  • My girls look good.
  • I'm so happy to have a sweet photo of me & my girls, and I will definitely be taking more photos with them, crazy hair/no makeup/hideous clothes and all.
C'mon moms/family photographers (for those dads that are always behind the lens) - JUST DO IT. Get in those photos! Our children will appreciate it someday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Sometimes all we see are flaws, but everyone else sees a great picture of you being a mom to your girls. The picture doesn't need to be changed at all. It's perfect.

Carebear May 29, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

I love the pic Melissa! I, too, have the issue of not being in the pics especially now that I am ready to pop but definitely will try to make an effort.