Wednesday, April 22, 2009

wanderlust - Gibraltar

Gibraltar

We spent a month in Spain when my oldest daughter was 6 months old, and while visiting the Andalucia region (southern coast of Spain) we decided to check out Gibraltar. Gibraltar is literally a huge rock that juts out from Spain, but is a British territory. The saying goes that when the apes leave Gibraltar, so will the Brits (but there are literally hundreds or maybe even thousands of apes on Gibraltar, so no need to worry about a transition of power anytime soon).

To be honest, I didn't find Gibraltar that exciting. I was more fascinated that a place so "British" could be a 5 minute walk - across an airport runway - from such a different way of life in Spain. In fact, the most exciting parts of Gilbraltar (to me) were: (1) the view to Africa (and we wanted REALLY badly to take the ferry to Tangiers (i.e. North Africa) but decided that probably wasn't the best idea with a 6 month old baby...); (2) the fish & chips in the main square; and (3) the sheer number of pubs on the Rock.

This is a photo of one of my favorite pubs on the Rock. Loved the sign.

3 comments:

Anonymous April 22, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

I would frame this for my house. Love it.

heidistitches April 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

My favorite was walking across the runway - how weird is that!?? Also, speaking Spanish on one side and then five minutes later you get the Brit accent, again, weird! Love the picture.

Barbara April 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Love the retro illustration feel of the owls!