Sunday, September 6, 2009

a very happy birthday indeed (and practicing what I preach)

For her birthday, my 4 year old received a "birthday tutu" from Auntie Lisa, which she proceeded to wear the rest of the day. It is a party in a skirt - pom poms and confetti and streamers sewn into the tulle. I wanted to take some shots of my girl at the park, but she refused to wear anything other than the birthday tutu, tights (yes, even though it was 90+ degrees yesterday) a striped shirt, a yellow bow headband, and black "fancy shoes":

2009-09-05 at 09-26-57

I have said to numerous friends and clients that I like when people wear bold colors to photo shoots, or when your kids insist on wearing whatever funky getup is the choice for the day. (Check out the "about me" page on my website). I really do - it's interesting and playful and fun to photograph. Which is funny since I personally like order and symmetry and neutral tones.

But she is 4 and loves crazy colors and mismatched outfits and tights with everything. So off we went to the park, just like this:

2009-09-05 at 09-27-06

2009-09-05 at 09-27-53

2009-09-05 at 09-35-09

I'm a mom and just like any other mom, I want my kids to stand still and smile pretty for the camera. But I know that won't happen. I tell parents all the time that I don't mind when their kids won't listen and are fidgety and run around like maniacs. It's true - I don't mind. Eventually, one of my photos (I hope) will capture that play, that charm, that exuberance that truly represents your kids.

And I will say I have WAY more patience with other children than with my own - the entire time (all of 20 minutes) I just wanted her to just stop moving and smile, darnit! But no - we ran all over the park, we played peek-a-boo and hide and seek, and there were lots of bribes being offered for smiles.

Then again, if she stood perfectly still with the doll smile, I wouldn't get shots like these:

2009-09-05 at 09-51-24

2009-09-05 at 09-48-25

2009-09-05 at 09-52-21

Photos that show her silliness and curiosity at this age.

Ahhh - it's good to be 4.

2009-09-05 at 08-25-34

6 comments:

Angela@the crazyness that is me September 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

Oh my goodness she is adorable!! I need to get me one of those skirts - its fabulous :)

Kat September 6, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Has your daughter ever read any of the Fancy Nancy books?

jackie kersh September 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

she looks really cute and so grown up! i love her fashion sense, very project runway.

Amber September 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

if that is not the CUTEST outfit ever!! dressed like a true 4 year old! LOVES it!!!
once again...u got skills girl!

Amy September 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

She looks so cute in her outfit!
I met my boyfriend's youngest daughter on Sunday. She had a pink tutu and this cute little flower head wreath with ribbons on. With her long blond hair she looks like such a little flower child. I wish I had my camera.

Melissa September 8, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Is it weird that a little part of me wishes I could wear that outfit on my birthday? It's adorable!!! I know exactly what you mean about kids not wanting to stand still. It keeps me on my toes all the time. I'm always thankful when it pays off and I return home to find some amazing candid shots...just like these. Very cute.