Monday, August 17, 2009

homework assignment - the fair (b+w)


DSC_0094

Just in case you readers think I post these lessons/assignments and forget about them, here is my take on the b+w assignment I posted a few weeks back - these are from our family trip to the Orange County Fair:

DSC_0097

DSC_0059

DSC_0020

DSC_0033

heifer with an attitude...

DSC_0001

DSC_0002

DSC_0008

doesn't it look like the enormous stuffed dog is attacking that little boy?

DSC_0021

I admit - I couldn't shoot only b+w that day - there are SO many colorful things at the fair! Nevertheless, shooting in black and white for part of the day allowed me to focus on improving my basic composition skills - what about this image makes a good photo? Note that all of these b+w images are straight out of the camera - no editing at all. (I feel so naked!) I found I like patterns and repetition, and I sought out shadows and contrast more when shooting black and white. I looked more for a story in each image, rather than just a pretty shot.

But...I can't resist posting a few of my color shots (with some pizazz added post production):

county fair

county fair

county fair

county fair

this one is my (almost) 4 year old on the carousel - I tried to intentionally blur the photo but keep her in focus by tracking her motion. Almost worked - the bear she's riding is basically in focus. Never hurts to try something new, right?

Readers let me know if you tried the assignment and if you liked having homework - I can come up with more assignments if you'd like...

4 comments:

Amy August 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

These are wonderful photos. I really like the fair in b&w, you really notice the details. The color are beautiful too. I took some b&w with my Diana at the local fair last year but only 3 came out (there on Flickr if you want to see http://www.flickr.com/photos/amymajken/sets/72157619444392154/). I want to go back a couple of times this year to take more pictures.

Mary LeMonnier August 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

I loved so many of those photos! (loved the heifer) How did you get the color to look like that for the carousel shots?? So gorgeous.

Angela@the crazyness that is me August 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

I tried shooting B/W then every thing just screamed "Colour me please!!" was really interesting though as I always shoot colour then change to b/w later. Really made me think about things. Thanks. that dog looks truly scary!

Melissa August 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

Amy - I really like your images from the fair. Very lovely - I'm thinking of getting a Diana or potentially a Lomo camera to play around with.

Mary - stay tuned for the lesson on Thursday...

Angela - thanks for the input - I'm so glad you tried the assignment out!