Monday, August 24, 2009

Courtney + Rob: Part Deux

courtney + rob (part deux)

During my first engagement shoot with these two, the sun disappeared on us pretty quickly at the beach. I asked Courtney + Rob if they would be interested in shooting more photos at the beach, hopefully with the golden California sun providing some awesome light. Because this is Southern California, right? Where it's NEVER sad and cloudy in August, right???

WRONG.

We met up at the pier on a dreary, cloudy Saturday. So much for my golden California sunshine photos. I've learned by now, though, that you always need a plan B for photo shoots (sometimes plans C and D are necessary). So we went in search of fun, funky, colorful backgrounds to contrast the gray skies. You can see from the photo above it was not a pretty day - but I think we worked it out.

courtney + rob (part deux)

I love the outside of this Mexican restaurant - makes you want to get a taco or two, yes?

courtney + rob (part deux)

courtney + rob (part deux)

Courtney + Rob are in front of some sort of storage unit - I loved the blue doors. I love her expression in the b+w one...

courtney + rob (part deux)

courtney + rob (part deux)

I have been wanting to take some photos in front of the old Bay Theater - not sure which one I like better. The color one is soft & romantic but the b+w is so dramatic. Thoughts?

courtney + rob (part deux)

courtney + rob (part deux)

Some last shots on the pier - these should have been in the lovely afternoon sun with the big beautiful ocean in the background, but I actually dig the soft, romantic feel to them. And I LOVE the flower in her hair!

Congrats again Courtney and Rob - thanks for another chance to practice my engagement photo shoot skills. I'll see you both in September...

5 comments:

heidistitches August 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

Love the b&w in front of the Bay Theater. It feels like a photo taken in the 50's yet this modern couple is in it.

Melissa August 26, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

Where is the Bay Theater? I can't decide which one I like best, I like 'em both!

Unknown August 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

Hi Melissa!! This is Scott Lawrence. I was just going through your blog and came across these photos from your engagement session in Seal Beach. I have to admit I just stared at them for a good 20 minutes and took a trip down memory lane. I grew up surfing the Seal Beach pier and have millions of memories from that beach and surrounding town. We used to ride our bikes over every inch of that asphalt (while we should have been at school.....) I loved your images and the use of color and composition. Beautiful eye. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see you again soon at a meetup of some sort.

Unknown August 29, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

These are beautiful - very sweet and romantic :)
-www.lastfortypercent.com/blog

Unknown August 31, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

Melissa- thank you so much for your incredible images of Rob and me! You took so much time with us and we couldn't be happier with our photos! Thank you for creating these beautiful memories for us!