Thursday, August 13, 2009

Engaged: Courtney + Rob

courtney + rob

My business officially launched about 2.5 months ago, and what I've learned in a very short time is that ANY experience with real live kids/families/couples is a good thing. So when Courtney asked me a few weeks ago if I would be interested in taking engagement pictures for her, I was thrilled - and a little apprehensive. I'm used to following children around and capturing moments as they happen. But an engagement shoot is more thought out, more posed. Other than Meghan + Tristan's wedding, I don't have a lot of experience with posing, but Courtney and Rob were so easygoing - they are naturals! It never hurts to photograph such a beautiful couple, either...

I've known Courtney for a while now - her older sister essentially grew up with my husband (did you follow that?) and I've spent time with her family over the years. The happy couple became engaged this year in New Orleans during Jazz Fest, and they are getting hitched in September in Santa Barbara. Courtney and Rob were the perfect couple for my first engagement shoot - easy, comfortable, and lovely with one another. They have such a sweetness about them - I think it really shows in the photos. It was fun (and complicated) trying to coordinate everything: 2 locations, 1 clothing change, 1 puppy and 2 beach cruisers. But I'm loving the results:

location no. 1 - a beautiful park near their house:

courtney + rob

courtney + rob courtney + rob


courtney + rob

fun with Rob's aviators...

courtney + rob

location no. 2: the beach!

courtney + rob

courtney + rob

courtney + rob

At this point we were desperate for light - the sunset was very hazy yesterday, but we managed to squeeze in a couple more shots:

courtney + rob

courtney + rob

This is my last shot of the night - and one of my faves from the day.

Congratulations Courtney and Rob!!

3 comments:

Kat August 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

My favorite 2 are the black and white under the pier, and the one where you can see her in his sunglasses. You are a talented photographer!

Amy August 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

These are great! I love the one on the beach with the bike and the b&w under the pier.

Melissa August 16, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

Love love love the sunglasses shot! The rest are gorgeous too! Rachel recently sent me over to your blog...I'm a budding photographer myself and I have been really enjoying reading about your process. I love it when other artists are so open about what they do and the challenges they face. Good luck to you and congrats with your official business launch!