Wednesday, July 1, 2009

wanderlust - Washington DC

I figured with the upcoming 4th of July weekend it would be appropriate to share some of my favorite things about our Nation's capital. I spent about three months there during college, working as an intern (not for the President, mind you...) Every weekend was spent exploring the town - did you know most museums are free there? It's fantastic for a college student. This list is most definitely out of date - it's been over 10 years since I was there - so readers if you have any places to share, please do. Here are my picks for the must-sees in DC:

(photo by steve clancy)

The Mall - this is a no brainer. The monuments, the museums, the Capitol building. So much to see and do. Loving the lens flare in this photo...

(photo by Ryan McGinnis)

Library of Congress - beautiful architecture.

(photo by Kevin Borland)

Arlington National Cemetery - it is impossible to walk the grounds without feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the lives lost and buried here. Many of the graves are young men - a mere 19 or 20 years old when they gave their lives for their country.

(Photo by grimjaw)

Ditto the sentiments above for the Vietnam Memorial.

(photo by DC Chelovek)

Finally - Dupont Circle. This is where my internship was located. Absolutely adorable neighborhood.

I'm realizing this post isn't doing DC justice - it really is an incredible place. I didn't even post pictures of Georgetown, or the Adams-Morgan neighborhood, or the Supreme Court. Well, you'll just have to visit for yourself...

1 comments:

Anonymous July 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

this is on my short list of places I want to visit. I just can't wait to go. I have the itinerary all planned out....