Tuesday, June 16, 2009

reader survey: do you Flickr?

I have a love/hate relationship with Flickr. I love that it's easy for me to upload photos and post them onto my blog in a large format. I love the idea that there are so many photos on Flickr that I can look to for ideas and inspiration. However, I hate the fact that it is not user friendly (at least in my opinion). I hate the groups - I've joined 2 now and I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for in terms of sharing ideas, methods, etc. One group never responded to my posts, and the other has some pretty strict rules, and after 12+ years of parochial school I don't do well with rules & regulations. At least when it comes to something like photography.

So I ask you dear readers - do you Flickr? Why or why not? And if you have any suggestions for groups I could join that would really push my photography to another level, I'm all ears.

5 comments:

Sara June 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Hi there. I use Flickr, and I actually love it. It's a great opportunity for feedback... but only if you find the right groups, which can be frustrating, as you expressed in your blog entry. The most personalize feedback and challenges will come to you on your own site, from people genuinely interested in your work. Looks for groups about women photographers - they are usually a good community to be part of.

Anonymous June 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

I used it for two years and found the construction of the site very elemenatary. It seems really messy to me and I get a very haphazard look at people's pictures because of it. I don't feel like it puts peoples collections together in a user friendly way and so I will go to check someone out and leave out of frustration. I'm not a photographer, so I go for different reasons, but it leaves me tired.

Melissa June 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM  

Thanks Sara and Rachel - it's as if you're the angel and devil on my shoulders, discussing how I feel about Flickr. I do have a pro account that I recently paid for, so I don't see a need to cancel it. Sara, I'll take your advice and continue to seek out groups - hopefully that will do the trick.

Becca June 18, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

Interestingly, I found your blog via flickr... I joined the Souviner Photo group. I too am haveing a hard time. I like the challenge, but feel like I'm out of my league. I'm just learning and dabbling with new techniques. I love your work. I think you capture a good energy in all your photos. I will continue to explore this little gem you've created! (if that's okay?)

Melissa June 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Becca - there is also the other factor about flickr - it could be a great way to sort of market my blog. But it's SO vast, I feel like I just get lost.

However, I'm so glad you found me, and I hope you keep reading! I'm planning on some back to basics posts in the next few weeks.