Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a jam-tastrophe



Remember how hopeful I was last Friday? When I showed you my apricot harvest, straight from my backyard, and I boldly announced I would be making jam this weekend?

Well, I certainly attempted to make jam, but I would not call the results anything resembling jam. I decided to do the freezer jam recipe, the one that sounded SOOOOO easy, that didn't require any crazy canning equipment and would (most likely) not cause any sort of food poisoning if I did it wrong.

I pitted, I chopped, I measured, I thought I made jam. But it was not meant to be. The final product was too grainy - and by grainy I am referring to the massive amounts of sugar that one needs to make jam. Apparently I put in too much sugar, and it didn't dissolve properly. So it didn't set, and now I have jiggly, grainy apricot spread, or something like that.

And I had to use our entire harvest for the "jam" which means I can't try again (not with our own produce) until next year. So sad...

I haven't given up yet. I have 12 mason jars just waiting for some jam. So I think I'll buy some strawberries from the stand near my house and try again.

1 comments:

number17cherrytreelane June 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

There has been MANY a sewing/crafting project that has gone wrong at my house. This is the way we learn. Martha Stewart wasn't created over night....so cut yourself some slack! Next batch will be awesome!