Monday, June 1, 2009

introducing...

Introducing

Melissa Brandman Photography

That's right. I'm taking the plunge. I'm starting my own photography business. And I'm totally freaked out about it.

I actually made this decision about a month ago, and I've been daydreaming about this for over 3 years. It was never the right time, never the right idea. Until now (I hope).

I couldn't even post about it until now.

Over the past few years, I've been inspired by the small business owner, the freelancer, and especially the women I've met that refuse to allow their dreams fall away despite all of the demands that marriage and motherhood can impose. I started my own law practice about 3 years ago because while I needed to work, I needed to be with my daughter (now daughters). I refused to work the insane hours, the late nights. I refused to be berated any more by partners at my firm, by crotchety old judges, by opposing counsel. So I started my own practice, on my own terms. And it was wonderful.

But I think the time has come to chase a long time dream, an actual passion of mine. I want to truly love my work. I do not do well with just "working to live" - I want to LOVE my work. To feel like it's not really work. I am forever grateful that I studied to become a lawyer. I love to help people, and I don't see that changing even if I am not actively practicing law everyday. I have no regrets - really, none. Every good (and bad) experience I've had practicing law has allows me to really appreciate what I'm about to do.

It is an honor to see photographs I have taken adorn the walls of my family and friends' homes. I consider it a blessing to be able to provide such wonderful memories for them. And now, with some business planning and fingers (and toes) crossed, I hope to provide that to many others.

So I'm working on a website. I'm still looking for models to build my portfolio. I need a graphic designer. And I'm trying not to spend too much money on the crazy expensive photography equipment that I actually need now (and have been coveting for a while...)

I'm freaked out. And unbelievably excited.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous June 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

Congratulations!!!!

Amber June 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

congrats melissa!
if you ever need any new subjects let me know....we are VERY camera friendly over here and would love to help out!
good luck!

jackie kersh June 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

how exciting! i'm so proud of you. keep us all posted on your progress.