Wednesday, April 8, 2009

wanderlust - Shanghai

Jade Temple, Shanghai, China

Wednesdays are a good wanderlust feature day, if you ask me. It's the middle of the week, and for some reason if I'm going to have a bad day during the week, it's almost always a Tuesday. So come Wednesday I'm looking to escape...

This is a photo from our trip to China in 2004. We joke that we came upon the Jade Temple in Shanghai at "prayer rush hour" - it was MADNESS. I used a slow shutter speed trying to capture the manic feel of the place. Despite the craziness, though, it was really interesting to watch people worship - the incense, the bowing, the choice to pray to one particular buddha over another. Just fascinating...

Can you tell I'm longing to use my passport again?

2 comments:

Anonymous April 8, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

This was my favorite picture on your FLICKR photostream. I loved it. It's almost like those books for kids that have 1000 things in them and you are supposed to find specific small things. There are tons of details and so much to look at in this unique photo. Beautiful!

Barbara April 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

A-mazing photo! I've been dying to break out my passport too, probably won't happen this summer though.