Wednesday, July 8, 2009

question - why do YOU read blogs?

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/questionmark.jpg
Ever since I "launched" my photography business, I've come to view this blog very differently. What started as a true DIY photography class is now, in theory, a marketing tool for my business. Don't get me wrong - I am really enjoying prepping the lessons each week and coming up with ideas to help teach myself and others. I feel like my skills have improved dramatically because I am constantly having to practice what I teach. It is undeniable that in this technology-saturated world we live in, this blog is also an important part of building my business.

I follow blogs I find relevant and intriguing - beautiful photographs, great writing, interesting opinions, helpful advice. So here's my question for you, dear reader - why do YOU read blogs? Dare I ask - why do you read MY blog? I want to know what you find interesting and helpful about this blog. I want to know what you'd like to see here - more about me personally? More of my photos? More of YOUR photos? Interested in class assignments that allow you to practice certain concepts?

I am always interested in ways to improve Lens Flare - the floor is yours...

4 comments:

Anonymous July 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

I read blogs for one reason:
To LEARN.
I gain quite a bit from hearing others experiences, insights and opinions. Mostly, I become more educated on why I believe what I believe. It strengthens my reasoning skills and sharpens my logic. I have cut the amount of blogs I read in half--to focus on the ones that challenge me and make me a better person.
One of the tremendous fringe benefits to blog reading has been the friends I have made. Real friends that I cherish and love and speak with, almost daily.

Why I read Lens Flare?
I'm not a photographer, but I do believe I have a discerning eye when it comes to quality and I can appreciate that no matter WHAT the venue. Mel's pictures are quality and I love looking at them, even if the lesson portions are lost on me.
I also think that there is something important about supporting fellow bloggers, even if their subject matter isn't "up your alley". The blogging community is tight knit and it is through relationships online that really great things have been able to happen (supporting one another, coming to the aide of families etc). I like to maintain and support artists, even if it is not a medium I enjoy or am familiar with.

Amber July 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

I read blogs because I am a curious george. it intrigues me that there are so many people out there w/ a story to tell. and who knows, that story might inspire or encourage me. blogs make me think, force me to have an opinion and allow a forum for all this.
also i've found its a great way to keep abreast of all that goes on in life. I have made some new friends and re-gained some old through my blog and offered up a lot of insight into myself to my family who reads my blog.
Why Lens Flare?
I fancy myself an amatuer photographer. and I like to be reminded what constitutes compostition and how to work my digital camera better than my SLR.
Also, I LOVE your pictures and seeing things through someone elses lens (so to speak).
Being somewhat of an artist myself,I fully support all artistic endeavors.
AND - you give me better ideas on how to handle my makeup blog -still working on where I want it to go but thanks for the inspiration!

Jacob, Noelle, Blake and Mackenzie July 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

I read blogs for several reasons - #1 - to learn more about the person I'm reading about - #2 to enjoy their stories and possibly apply how they handle situations to my life #3 - inspiration - many of the blogs I view are created by very crafty people - it inspires me to start new projects. Your blog for example inspires me to be more creative when I take pictures of my family. To go with my instincts and take that picture of the random flower that my husband may laugh at - but that I think looks beautiful :) Lastly I thoroughly enjoy looking at everyone's pictures!

Angela@the crazyness that is me July 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

I read blogs to learn. I think thats the biggest reason. I love looking at other photographers work (enen if it cast doubts on my own work) I love learning new things about my camera or when blogs suggest to do things and i go try it to see the results.