Thursday, June 11, 2009

researching new cameras and lenses

I've been talking to a friend of mine about what kind of equipment I need to photograph a wedding - the answer is, in a nutshell, a lot more than I currently have. I'm hoping to rent most of the equipment I need but I'm thinking of picking up a wide angle lens.

I don't know about you, but my eyes glaze over when I have to read a detailed technical review of any product. I am not a "techie" and I don't enjoy reading reviews that require me to look up terminology every 5 words. However, if you haven't noticed already, cameras and lenses can get really pricey. Of the wide angle lenses I was looking at for my camera, the prices varied by over $1,300! Needless to say, researching your options is very important when you're considering shelling out some serious $$$ for cameras and equipment.

So what's a non-"techie" type to do? Here are some suggestions:

Digital Camera Resource Page
provides pretty comprehensive reviews of various DSLRs, complete with pictures and software reviews. I read the review for the next camera I'm hoping to buy (once that photography business takes off, of course...) and I found it very informative without putting me to sleep. The website is aimed at consumers (rather than professionals) and purports to be unbiased (i.e. does not accept cash, cameras, trips, etc. in exchange for a positive product review).

Digital Photography Review is extremely thorough (almost too thorough for my taste, but remember my non-"techie" status). For any camera newbies reading the site, DP Review provides a digital photography glossary that is really helpful.

My go-to resource for the basics, Digital Photography School, provides some information on what to look for in a DSLR (for those of you looking to upgrade from a point and shoot), and an introduction to lenses, both of which offer a good starting point for any camera/lens research.

Of course, there are always reader reviews on Amazon or other retail camera sites, but I find these a little too "techie," and it always seems like the writer is trying to outdo someone else.

I'm off to do some more research on that wide angle lens...post a comment/email any questions, or if you have any other ideas for researching cameras and lenses.

2 comments:

Katie Corlin Photography June 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

I've found kenrockwell.com to be really helpful in researching Nikon equipment. The "techie" info. is available (which i breeze over) but he gives his thoughts/opinions w/o the "techie" language.

Melissa June 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Great suggestion! This actually really helped with with my wide angle lens research (since I'm a Nikon owner).

Thanks Katie!