Wednesday, May 20, 2009

before: reading chair (intermission)

So I couldn't resist posting a "during" picture. I read on the Internet about how to create an antique finish on furniture using wood stain - seriously, how did any of us live before Google?

Here's the before photo:



Here's the during photo:


I appreciate blogs that not only show you before + after photos but also explain how to get from point A to point B. For the antique white finish I sanded the wood frame and spray painted 2 coats of Ivory Bisque spray paint by Rustoleum. Today, I went back over the frame with dark walnut wood stain and used a dry clean cloth to rub off the excess. I used a q-tip to get into the nooks and crannies of the chair, and I beat up the chair a little with the sandpaper and a screwdriver.

I did have some touch up to do tomorrow (I am a novice spray painter and I found dried drips when I went to check out the chair today) - hoping to finish by tomorrow so I can get the chair back to the upholsterer on Friday. Then I wait 2 weeks for the final result - so exciting!

0 comments: