Tuesday, April 28, 2009

up to know good - giving homeless children a good night's sleep

I'm sort of new to how blogs really work. I started a blog during my really-expensive-yet-total-waste-of-my-time photography class I took in the summer of 2007 (and the catalyst for this blog), and other than updating it and reading a couple of family blogs, I never dove into the blogosphere.

Now that I've jumped in with both feet, though, I continue to be amazed at the grassroots campaigns launched by bloggers to make this world a better place. Bloggers all over the country will acknowledge a child or a family in need, and people in turn respond - in droves. Forgive me for the sentimental nature of this post, but it really does touch my heart to see so much good in the world. Which is why this is my first post (and hopefully not the last) dedicated not to photography, but to just doing good in this world.

I know many of you reading this blog have kids, and I'm sure you all have some sort of bedtime ritual. For my family, its baths, soft PJs, and many books and snuggles. It really is cherished time for us. And it saddens me greatly to think of all the children that have lost their homes, their possessions, their blankies and PJs and books, to this horrible recession we are experiencing. According to the Homelessness Research Institute of the National Alliance to End Homelessness, there are currently 298,000 families that are homeless in the United States - more than at any time since the Great Depression. Many of those homeless are children - without
any extra clothes to change into before bed, let alone a blankie or stuffed animal to cuddle or a book to read.

Sad, right? Here's how you can help:

Project Night Night
is a non-profit organization that prepares totes for homeless children, complete with blankets, stuffed animals and books. Click here to find out more about how you can donate your kids' gently used or even new stuffed animals, books, and blankets. For those of you wanting to donate in the Bay Area (and in Ohio) there are drop off locations - for me I will be mailing in my daughter's stuffed animals that were buried under piles and piles of other stuffed animals.

Pajama Program is a non-profit organization that donates new PJs and books to children in homeless shelters. There are many chapters across the country - click here to check it out. If you are a part of an organization that would be interested in a drive to collete PJs and books, click here.

I've been inspired by others in the blogging world to do good, and I hope I have inspired you this morning as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

waiting for Miss K to wake up so I can start a pile in her room of things we are sending to Project Night Night. Way to pass on some resources!!!

jackie kersh May 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

thank you for posting this. i have tons of stuff that i would love to donate (most of which has never been used/opened).