Thursday, April 16, 2009

editing 101 - cropping

Here is another trick to create a better background for your photos - cropping. Cropping is an easy way to fill the frame with your subject after you've taken the photo (and to eliminate any background you are not happy with...)

An example - take this photo of my niece Kensington:

I actually like this one as is, but if I wanted less of the background in the picture, I can simply choose to crop it (in Picnik or some other editing software - in Picnik go to edit and choose the "crop" button).

From the original photo I cropped it to be a portrait or vertical photo with less of the background showing:


For this one I cropped it so that her face was the focal point of the photo:


Cropping is so simple, but a very easy way to create a better photo.

0 comments: