Tuesday, April 14, 2009

b+w (and one color)

This past year I have really been focusing on improving my color photography, but I generally gravitate towards black & white. Most of the photos in my house are black and white. I have a mix of vintage family photos from the 1940s and 1950s alongside my personal family photos.

So while I'll continue to work on my color photography, here are some of my personal photos from Easter Sunday - in the always classic b+w:

cousins
kensington
laughing cousins
first steps (b+w)

that being said - Easter is usually a beautiful day of color, so here's one from our Easter egg hunt:

Easter Basket

What's your preference - color or b+w?

4 comments:

Barbara April 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

It depends. Color can be distracting, in black & white you see the soul of the photograph per se. There is nothing distracting the eye to a certain spot so the composition and photography skills of the photographer stand out.
With color in the photo, there is more room for error with the photography itself.

heidistitches April 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

I like the mix. Seeing the black & white first, then getting that color shot really intensifies the color shot - it's like being in a dark room and then stepping out into bright sunlight. Love it.

Anonymous April 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

I have always gravitated more to B&W, only because it is reminiscent of vintage photography. That being said, I like colored pictures when the light/shade is "right". The pic of Miss K (from Easter day) that you sent me had much more impact in color (IMO) because of the lens you are using and your eye for light/shade/sun. That was a beautiful color picture because of the knowledge you have of use of light....

Melissa April 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

For me it really depends on what I find most interesting in the photo. Sometimes b+w allows for the emotion or the action in the photo to stand out where color would be distracting. Sometimes the colors evoke vivid memories of a place or a time.

I have to admit that when I get the colors wrong in a photo, I will just convert it to b+w, which I why I've been consciously practicing my color photography this year...